Your Thanksgiving preparations may be well under way by now, but today we're sharing with you our top tips for getting that turkey baked to perfection. We've made plenty turkey mistakes over the years and we're here to make sure your holiday goes smoothly and without a hitch! Read on to hear our Capa turkey tips!
- Choose the right turkey for your needs. There are so many options out there from organic to fresh or frozen, and the first step to a successful Thanksgiving is choosing the best one for you and your family! Whichever one you prefer, be sure to double check its weight to make sure it will be enough for your gathering. We figure about one pound of turkey per person plus a few extra pounds for the bones of the turkey.
- Roast your turkey on a bed of vegetables for extra flavor. Using carrots, celery, onions and other vegetables of your choosing, create a natural little bed for your turkey inside your roasting pan. Keeping the turkey lifted like this allows for it to get crispy and the vegetables add lots of flavor!
- Rub the turkey with oil or butter. After cleaning the turkey, dry it as best as you can and then rub it with butter or oil on all sides.
- Use your thermometer! This is one of the clearest ways to gauge if your turkey is done or not. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey (away from the bone) and keep an eye out for 165 degrees F. At this point, the turkey is done and can be removed from the oven to cool.
- Let it cool and rest. Once removed from the oven, cover the whole pan loosely with foil and let the turkey sit for at least 15 minutes. This will keep the juices flavorful and absorbed into the turkey.
What are your turkey tips that you've learned over the years? Let us know on our Facebook page
Happy Thanksgiving everyone from Capa di Roma!