A long friend of the Italian cuisine, parsley appears in a number of dishes and packs a powerful, health-boosting punch too! Today we're taking a peek at all the lovely benefits that parsley offers us and why it's often referred to as a superfood!
- It'll give your immune system a boost! We just wrote a post about foods that benefits our immune defenses, and parsley can be added to the list! It has high levels of antioxidants and vitamin C which help to lower inflamation and prevent diseases.
- It aids in digestion and intestinal health! Parsley has been associated with curing a number of gastrointestinal issues including bloating, constipation, and indigestion. Parsley essential oil has long been used to address gastrointestinal disorders and aid in nutrient absorption. You can even add a few drops to a bath or your stomach to experience relief!
- It helps slow the aging process! Parsley is loaded with antioxidants that work to fight free radical damage, a leading cause of age-related diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and eye diseases.
- Parsley has antifungal and antibacterial properties. This health-packed herb can help fight against bacteria and infections and its oil has been used to help eliminate fungus. Parsley is often found in soaps and detergents due to its antimicrobial properties and its ability to kill odors.
- It freshens your breath! Who doesn't need a breath booster now and then? Parsley is a completely healthy and effective way to freshen your breath since it kills bad bacteria in the mouth.
- It enhances bone health! Due to its high levels of vitamin K, parsley has been known to help maintain bone density and fight fractures and breaks. Together with the calcium and vitamin D found in the herb, parsley is a great source of bone health.
If you didn't already toss some parsley leaves onto your dinner, these are even more great reasons to do so! It's a little herb with a big health benefit and it's easy to add to just about anything. Buon appetito!