As we're getting further into fall now, you might have already caught a cold or started to feel a little stuffy from the change of season. We thought this is a perfect time to gather our favorite immune boosting foods to incorporate in the kitchen for an extra kick of health. There are loads of foods you can eat to help build up your immune system and these are some of our favorites and ones that are often found in the Italian cuisine!
- Red Bell Peppers - these guys actually contain more vitamin C than citrus fruits! Vitamin C is a known immune system booster and it also helps keep skin healthy. Red peppers are also rich in beta carotene, which keeps eyes and skin healthy.
- Broccoli - loaded with vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, C and E, broccoli is an extremely beneficial vegetable to eat. It's also full of antioxidants and fiber, so to reap the most health benefits, try to eat it raw or as close to raw as possible.
- Spinach - another vegetable loaded with vitamin C, spinach has a number of antioxidants and beta carotene as well for fighting infection.
- Garlic - a staple in Italian food, garlic is also found in just about everything other cuisine in the world. It was used hundreds of years ago to help fight infections and has now been proven to lower blood pressure too. Due to the high concentrations of sulfur-containing compounds, garlic is an excellent immune system booster.
- Ginger - Not only does ginger sooth a sore throat due to its anti-imflammatory properties, it can also address a number of inflammatory ilnesses and decrease nausea.
- Almonds - vitamin E is crucial for a healthy immune system and almonds are packed with it. Just one half cup of almonds provides 100% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin E.
Though often times it seems that catching one cold or two is inevitable in the cold weather, we can certainly do our best to keep ourselves healthy and our diet rich in vitamins and minerals as much as possible. Let's continue to eat good, fresh food and help our bodies build up immune strength!