Now that we're getting into October and the weather is getting a little crisper out there, we can start incorporating one of our favorite foods—butternut squash! This rich and sweet root vegetable is found in so many different dishes and is great for our health. In today's post we're highlighting some of the main health benefits on butternut squash!
- Boosts your eyesight! Butternut squash has tons of Vitamin A, zeaxanthin and lutein with all work to improve eye health and protect your vision!
- Prevents high blood pressure! Potassium can help decrease blood pressure and one cup of squash has about 500mg!
- Improves bone health! The manganese found in butternut squash helps with calcium absorption and the mineral density of the spinal column. It also contains Vitamin C which assists in the building of bone mass.
- Helps your immune system! The Vitamin C in this squash also helps protect against immune system deficiencies like cardiovascular disease and reduces the risk of lung infection and pneumonia.
- Reduces inflammation! The many antioxidants in butternut squash serve as anti-inflammatories and can even reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Boosts your skin health! Another amazing benefit of all that Vitamin C is healthier skin. Vitamin C has anti-aging effects and helps bring moisture to the skin.
We hope all these amazing benefits have inspired you to make some butternut squash ravioli, risotto, or lasagna! It's definitely a versatile vegatable and can be incorporated into a number of dishes!