A classic Italian herb found in a number of Mediterranean dishes is sage! A "sister herb" of rosemary, sage is a woody herb with some outstanding health benefits. It has been used for thousands of years for a number of reasons including healing snakebites, protecting people from evil, and boosting fertility in women. Today we're laying out the five reasons why you could add a little sprig to your dinner tonight!
- It's great for your digestion! The acid in sage is anti-inflammatory, easing upset stomachs and aiding in the overall digestive process. If you get inflammationin your gut after meals, sage can ease these feelings and lower your digestive discomfort significantly.
- It can be used topically for your skin! Using sage leaves, or finding a sage topical product already prepared, you can use the herb to help a number of skin conditions including psoriasis, eczema and even acne. The anti-inflammatory properties mentioned above are responsible for soothing blemishes.
- Sage is great for your bones! The herb is rich in Vitamin K, which helps develop strong bone density and can help prevent osteoporosis.
- It can give you a cognitive boost! Whether ingested or inhaled, sage has been shown to help memory retention and increase concentration.
- Sage can strengthen your immune system! The antimobrial properties of sage allow it to help prevent bacterial and viral infections on the skin. When applied topically, sage can provide an extra layer of defense for viruses entering through the skin.
Sage is a particularly health-packed herb and we're definitely convinced to add a leaf or two on top of our dishes tonight!