If you've ever walked through the cheese display at a supermarket and felt overwhelmed, we are here for you! Today we're walking you through a little basic guide to understand the differences across all the fresh, aged, and creamy cheeses out there!
- Gruyère - Made from cow's milk and it's creamy and a bit sharp. Similar to swiss cheese, it can be served on a cheese late or baked into a savory pastry.
- Parmesan - A hard cheese made from cow's milk adds flavor to any dish! Parmesan can get expensive but is lovely eaten alone or grated on any number of dishes and soups.
- Ricotta - An Italian whey cheese made from goat, cow, or sheep's milk. Ricotta is used in a number of Italian desserts such as cheesecake and cannoli, and also in savory dishes like pasta, pizza and lasagna.
- Blue Cheese - As most people know, the blue part of blue cheese is a mold in the cheese curd. It's a very flavorful table cheese and can be crumbled on salads for a delicious boost of flavor.
- Feta - A white, creamy cheese from Greece made from sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep and goat milk. Often found in salads and other mediterranean dishes, it's produced in blocks and has a grainy texture and sharp flavor.
- Cheddar - A hard, sharp, and natural cheese made from cow's milk, cheddar originating from England. It's the number one most common cheese in England and the second most common cheese in the U.S.
- Brie - A soft, cow's milk cheese named after the region in France where it originated. It is a soft cheese that can be eaten plain with crackers or baked into a puff pastry.
- Pecorino - A hard, Italian cheese made from ewe's milk as "pecora" means "sheep" in Italian. Used in a number of pasta dishes, it has a sharp and salty flavor.
- Mozzarella - Fresh mozzarella is semi-soft, southern Italian cheese made from buffalo's milk. Used in pizzas, or eaten fresh in a caprese salad, mozzarella cheese is a staple in italian cuisine.
- Pepperjack - A spicy, hard cheese that's great for melting into quesadillas, burgers, or hot paninis.
- Goat Cheese - Made from goat's milk, it is creamy, soft and fresh. Goat cheese makes the perfect compliment to salads, crackers and vegetable dishes.
What's your favorite type of cheese? Buon appetito!