We toss a chopped onion into a number of dishes at Roma Restaurant, and besides their powerful and delicious flavor, they are great for your health too! An onion can add so much to an otherwise basic dish, and now there are seven extra reasons to do so. Let's take a look at some health benefits:
- have been used for centuries as an anti-inflammatory. They are known for aiding joint pain and arthritis.
- have anibiotic, antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties that aid in treating infections and help heal wounds.
- contain a powerful antioxidant called quercetin which can help fight heart disease and cancer and reduces blood pressure.
- contain sulfur compounds that have anti-clotting properties and lower cholesterol.
- are rich in biotin, which promotes healthy and strong hair, skin and nails.
- boost your immune system with their high vitamin C content and phytochemicals.
- have a high fiber content, resulting in a healthier and more regular digestive system.
Also, some of the best benefits from onions can be reaped more easily from raw onions. So try to eat them raw when you can, but still include them however you can!