Garlic is found in just about every delicious Italian dish, usually as one of the primary ingredients. There is a lot of research about the medicinal and health qualities of this potent food, and as garlic lovers ourselves, we thought we delve right into it!
- It is well documented that major civilization like the Egyptians, Babylonians, and Romans, Greeks, and Chinese used garlic for medicinal purposes. The sulfur compound in garlic called allicin is what is believed to offer most health benefits.
- Garlic helps to draw heavy metals out of the body. Heavy metals are toxins in our everyday life that we take in, so it's great to find foods that help detox them from our bodies. The sulfur compounds helps protect the organs against heavy metal toxins.
- Garlic has been proven to reduce blood pressure, and in some cases has been suggested as a supplement for regular medication of high blood pressure.
- Garlic is a great immune system booster! It has been proven to help fight the common cold and the flu.
- Garlic is very low in calories and contains fiber, manganese, vitamin B6, selenium, vitamin C. So eat up!
- The antioxidants in garlic can protect against cell damage and ageing, aiding in a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
If you don't already enjoy garlic in your diet, try throwing it in to some dinners and get in on these awesome health benefits! Check out our garlic bread recipe
for a delicious way to incorporate this magical food!