We wrote a little while back about the health benefits of red wine, so we thought we'd bring you a little more information on whites and sparkling wines too! Like anything else, moderation is key, but there are some great health benefits from the occasional glass of white wine.
- Like red wine, white wine contains flavanoids with strong antioxidant properties, which are proven to fight cancer. Some studies have even showed that white wine may have more antioxidants than red.
- White wine has been associated with weight loss! In a 2004 study from the University of Hohenheim, participants eating a diet with 10% of energy from white wine lost as much weight as other participants consuming their 10% of energy from juices. Furthermore, champagne is even lower in calories that red wine, white wine, or beer.
- White sparkling wine like champagne can fight against heart disease! Studies have shown that champagne has a positive effect on the endothelial function and moderate consumption can improve vascular performance.
- Champagne can also be beneficial for brain functioning! A few glasses per week can help prevent some disordrs including dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Certain sparkling wines also contain phenolic acid, which aids in memory.
- White wine contains phosphorous, potassium and fluoride.
- White wine has been shown to keep lung tissue healthy.
Keep in mind that most (if not all) of these statistics are based off of a one glass per day/ a few glasses per week amount of wine. Overdoing it can be less beneficial for your body in many ways, so try and limit your intake if you are interested in reaping the above benefits!