Italy has a reputation for having some of the best food in the world. Several other Mediterranean countries have fantastic cuisine as well, yet the average person in these countries manages to stay slimmer and healthier than many Americans. The Mediterranean diet is a topic that has been studied and written about at length, and even regarded as the healthiest diet.
We're highlighting the top components of this seemingly magical diet of delicious food that keeps you slim too!
- The focus is on plant based foods like fruits and vegetables.
- There is a preference for fish and poultry over other proteins, and overall moderate protein consumption.
- Other foods included in the diet are legumes, whole grains, nuts, and healthy fats.
- One ingredient that has taken on an almost magical perception is olive oil. Though the actual health benefits of olive oil have been disputed, there is no mistaking that it plays a large part in the Mediterranean cuisine and has for centuries.
- An occassional glass of red wine is also a component!
There are also several health benefits associated with the Mediterranean diet including:
- A reduced risk for heart disease.
- An association with lower levels of cholesterol.
- A reduced risk of breast cancer in women.
- A reduced incidence of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases
It's pretty incredible to read all of the positive benefits associated with this diet. In our next post, we'll be sharing some tips on how you can incorporate aspects of this diet into your existing one, and easy substitutions to make for healthier meals.
—Capa di Roma