We're taking a little break from our usual recipe today to explain a little bit about where we're from! In order to understand the authenticity of our products and ingredients, we thought you could get to know us and Salerno a little bit better.
First, a little backround on us:
It all started with Grandmother’s Old World pasta sauce recipe and a dream.
Immacolata Capaccio, a native of Bracigliano, in Salerno Italy, grew up on the family farm, working the fields with her 8 siblings. She remembers as a young girl, walking out the back door and picking all the ingredients, fresh from their gardens and learning to cook sauce at the knees of her nonna (grandmother).
In 1965, Immacolata and her husband, Luigi, migrated from their hometown in Salerno Italy with only $500. After many years they decided to start their dream of owning a restaurant – and so it began. In 1982 in East Hartford, Connecticut they opened Roma Restaurant and Pizzeria, which was run entirely by family members.
After growing up working in the restaurant, daughter Emilia and son Frankie, both in their early twenties, took over management of the family business in 1994 and established the Capa di Roma brand.
Now let's learn a bit about Salerno:
- The city was founded in 197 BC.
- Salerno is found in the Campania region in south-western Italy, on the Gulf of Salerno on the Tyrrhenian Sea.
- The city marks the exact beginning of the Amalfi Coast.
- Salerno has historically been known to be an important arts and cultural center of Italy.
- Schola Medica Salernitana of Salerno was the world's first medical university.